- Bachelor of Laws, University of Technology, Sydney 2005
- Bachelor of Arts, Macquarie University, Sydney, 2002
- Legal Practitioner of Supreme Court of Queensland
- Legal Practitioner of High Court of Australia
- Queensland Law Society
- Queensland Environmental Law Association (QELA)
- Women’s Law Association of Queensland
Clare joined p&e Law in February 2009 and has over ten years’ experience predominantly in native title, Aboriginal cultural heritage, mining, Aboriginal land tenure and management and planning and environment law.
Clare has worked for two Native Title Representative Bodies in Far North Queensland and has acted externally for many Aboriginal parties in native title, Aboriginal cultural heritage, mining and land tenure resolution matters in Queensland. Her current practice has expanded to include pastoral and local government representation in these areas.
Clare was admitted as a lawyer in April 2006 and joined p&e Law in February 2009. Clare has extensive experience in the practice of native title law and has spent three years working in native title representative bodies in Far North Queensland. Clare has acted for a number of Aboriginal parties in native title, Aboriginal cultural heritage, mining and land tenure resolution matters in northern and central Queensland. Her current native title practice has expanded to include pastoral and Government representation in these areas.
Clare began practising planning and environment law in 2009 and has enjoyed carriage of a variety of planning matters including appeal litigation and the negotiation of infrastructure agreements for a predominantly local government client base. The intersection of mainstream planning regulation with the varied land use and management experiences that exist in Indigenous communities is an increasing area of interest for Clare and also for the firm as a whole.
The drafting and negotiation of agreements for land use and the strategic thinking and relationship building that accompanies those processes are areas Clare enjoys and excels at in her work.
Examples of Experience:
Planning and environment law
- Carriage of appeal litigation in the Planning & Environment Court on behalf of local government and developer clients.
- Provision of written advice under the Sustainable Planning Act 2009 and other related legislation.
- Drafting and negotiation of infrastructure agreements on behalf of local government clients.
- Land tenure negotiation involving application of planning laws to Indigenous land.
Native title and cultural heritage
- Drafting and negotiating Indigenous Land Use Agreements, Section 31 Agreements and Cultural Heritage Management Plans, particularly with mining companies and government agencies on behalf of Aboriginal client groups but also on behalf of pastoralists.
- Provision of written advice under legislation including the Native Title Act 1993, Aboriginal Cultural Heritage Act 2003, Aboriginal Land Act 1991, Mineral Resources Act 1989, Corporations (Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander) Act 2006, Land Act 1994.
- Drafting and registration of PBC rule books (constitutions) under the Corporations (Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander) Act 2001.
- Provision of advice and drafting and negotiation of trustee leasing matters under the Aboriginal Land Act 1991 and Torres Strait Islander Act 1991 for Aboriginal local government clients on Cape York Peninsular and central Queensland.
- Provision of advice and assistance including tenure negotiation to community development entities in Aboriginal communities regarding land tenure and some commercial matters.
- Carriage of litigation in the Federal Court on behalf of native title claim groups (native title determination applications).
- Carriage of litigation in the Land Court on behalf of an Aboriginal cultural heritage entity.
- Agreement drafting and negotiation for land access and compensation in relation to mineral exploration and mining at the grant and renewal phase.