211 Draper St, Cairns QLD 4870
T: 07 4041 7622
- Bachelor of Laws, University of Technology, Sydney 1999
- Bachelor of Arts, Australian National University, Canberra 1998
- Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice, College of Law Sydney 2004
- Legal Practitioner of Supreme Court of New South Wales and Queensland
- Legal Practitioner of High Court of Australia
- Queensland Law Society
- Far North Queensland Law Association (FNQLA)
- Queensland Environmental Law Association (QELA)
Ryan was admitted as a solicitor in July 2004 and joined p&e Law in January 2018. With broad prior experience in administrative, insurance, family, property and commercial law as well as general litigation, Ryan spent over 8 years prior to joining p&e Law working for a Native Title Representative Body in Far North Queensland.
Ryan has extensive experience in native title, Aboriginal land tenure, indigenous land use including leasing, infrastructure, extractive activities, tourism and economic development, Aboriginal cultural heritage and indigenous land and sea management and protected area dedication/management.
Ryan has advised and acted for dozens of Native Title claim groups, Aboriginal Corporations and Land Trusts across land tenure, land use, future acts, conservation, cultural heritage and economic development including resource extraction. He has particular expertise in assisting native title groups to incorporate and with ongoing compliance, capacity building, corporate governance and rule book (constitution) reform.
Examples of Experience:
- Leading tenure reform negotiations with the State of Queensland on behalf of Aboriginal groups, resulting in grants of Aboriginal Freehold land under the Aboriginal Land Act.
- Negotiating, drafting and implementation of Indigenous Land Use Agreements on behalf of Aboriginal client groups.
- Negotiating, drafting and implementation of Indigenous Management Agreements under the Cape York Peninsula Heritage Act 2007 on behalf of Aboriginal client groups.
- Negotiating, drafting and implementation of Conservation Agreements under the Nature Conservation Act 1992 on behalf of Aboriginal client groups.
- Negotiating, drafting and implementation of quarry leases on Aboriginal land and arrangements for water extraction.
- Negotiating and drafting leases, occupancy licences and easements on Aboriginal land.
- Provision of written advice under legislation including the Native Title Act 1993, Aboriginal Land Act 1991, Nature Conservation Act 1992, Cape York Peninsula Heritage Act 2007, Aboriginal Cultural Heritage Act 2003, Corporations (Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander) Act 2006, Land Act 1994 and Mineral Resources Act.
- Advice and representation in relation to future acts notifications under the Native Title Act.
- Drafting and registration of rule books (constitutions) for Aboriginal Corporations and Prescribed Body Corporates under the Corporations (Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander) Act 2006.
- Providing ongoing legal advice, representation and compliance services to Aboriginal Corporations.