Ryan is a Senior Solicitor based in our Cairns office. Ryan has extensive experience in native title, Aboriginal land tenure, indigenous land use including leasing, infrastructure, extractive activities, tourism and economic development, Aboriginal cultural heritage, indigenous land and sea management and protected area dedication/management.
Prior to joining P&E Law, Ryan worked for a native title representative body in Far North Queensland for eight years and also has a broad range of prior experience in administrative, insurance, family, property and commercial law as well as general litigation.
Ryan has advised and acted for dozens of Native Title claim groups, Aboriginal Corporations and Land Trusts across land tenure, land use, future acts, conservation, cultural heritage and economic development including resource extraction. He has particular expertise in assisting native title groups to incorporate and with ongoing compliance, capacity building, corporate governance and rule book (constitution) reform.
Outside of work, Ryan enjoys camping on country with elders. He also likes classic cars, chocolate and tacos.
- Leading tenure reform negotiations with the State of Queensland on behalf of Aboriginal groups, resulting in grants of Aboriginal Freehold land under the Aboriginal Land Act 1991 (Qld).
- Negotiating, drafting and implementation of Indigenous Land Use Agreements on behalf of Aboriginal client groups.
- Negotiating, drafting and implementation of Indigenous Management Agreements under the Cape York Peninsula Heritage Act 2007 (Qld) on behalf of Aboriginal client groups.
- Negotiating, drafting and implementation of Conservation Agreements under the Nature Conservation Act 1992 (Qld) on behalf of Aboriginal client groups.
- Negotiating, drafting and implementation of quarry leases on Aboriginal land and arrangements for water extraction.
- Negotiating and drafting leases, occupancy licences and easements on Aboriginal land.
- Provision of written advice under legislation including the Native Title Act 1993 (Cth), Aboriginal Land Act 1991 (Qld), Nature Conservation Act 1992 (Qld), Cape York Peninsula Heritage Act 2007 (Qld), Aboriginal Cultural Heritage Act 2003 (Qld), Corporations (Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander) Act 2006 (Cth), Land Act 1994 (Qld) and Mineral Resources Act 1989 (Qld).
- Advice and representation in relation to future acts notifications under the Native Title Act 1993 (Cth).
- Drafting and registration of rule books (constitutions) for Aboriginal Corporations and Prescribed Bodies Corporate under the Corporations (Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander) Act 2006 (Cth).
- Providing ongoing legal advice, representation and compliance services to Aboriginal Corporations.