- Bachelor of Laws –University of Sydney
- Bachelor of Arts – University of Sydney
- Legal Practitioner of Supreme Court of New South Wales
- Legal Practitioner of Supreme Court of Queensland
- Legal Practitioner of High Court of Australia
- Queensland Law Society
- Queensland Environmental Law Association (QELA)
- Urban Development Institute of Australia (UDIA)
- Planning Institute of Australia (PIA)
- Property Rights Australia
- Sunshine Coast Law Association
For more than 16 years Matt Patterson has practiced exclusively as a native title, planning and environment lawyer in Queensland. Prior to that Matt practiced in litigation in the Sydney CBD. Although based in p&e Law’s Maroochydore office, Matt regularly works from our Cairns office and travels regularly throughout Queensland. Matt heads p&e Law’s Coal Seam Gas team.
Matt has extensive experience in Local, State and Commonwealth planning and environment law including the conduct of Planning and Environment Court, Federal Court and Land Court applications and appeals as well related aspects of planning and development including land acquisition, protected areas, vegetation, mining, water and carbon rights. He regularly advises local governments, developers and submitters in planning appeals throughout Queensland.
The range of major projects on which Matt has worked includes mining, water and electricity supply and transport, construction of infrastructure. Examples include:
- QGC’s 540km buried natural gas pipeline network, APLNG (Origin Energy), Santos and other CSG-related projects – negotiated land access arrangements, workers camp environmental conditions, Conduct and Compensation Agreements on behalf of numerous landholders, 2011- present and ongoing;
- Northern Territory Northern Gas Pipeline Project 2017;
- Negotiating contracts for landholders for the delivery of Carbon Units under the Carbon Credits (Carbon Farming Initiative) Act 2011 (Cth);
- The negotiation of new legislative arrangements governing land management in Cape York Peninsula for landholders, government and native title holders – the Cape York Peninsula Heritage Act 2007 (Qld);
- Extensive experience representing developers, community groups and individuals on a diverse range of planning matters including large residential subdivisions, rural industry uses, commercial development, infrastructure agreements, etc.
- Recent negotiation of successful “make good” and compensation agreements for coal mining projects, CSG projects.
- Matt has extensive planning and environment experience in Queensland and has acted for many parties including developers, community groups and individuals on a diverse range of planning matters including:
- Advising a local government authority on conditions of development approval for the resort expansion on Dunk Island;
- Negotiating a planning approval on flood-prone land for a 50-lot subdivision on the Sunshine Coast;
- Advising a large residential and industrial developer in the expanding coal-seam gas fields in south western Queensland on a range of developments including a 400-lot residential subdivision and a 25-lot industrial subdivision;
- Representing a light industrial business owner in Bundaberg on regularising development approval;
- Representing and advising a Sunshine Coast developer in negotiating approval for an application for 300-lot subdivision including retail and other uses;
- Negotiating infrastructure charging and Infrastructure Agreements on behalf of developers and local governments.
Specialised knowledge & innovative law solutions for